Sunday, May 14, 2023

Ms Chi Cafe - Culver City

There was a lot of chatter about Ms Chi when she first came to Culver, but I have no idea why. I don't know if we came on an off night or if they started skimping on their ingredients to keep up with inflation, but most of what I had here was nothing special. 


With the exception the signature Jumbo Cheeseburger Potstickers, which are fun. They taste exactly like a burger in a wonton wrapper, though I wish they'd spread the cheese more evenly. I only got ground beef until the last two bites, where a gooey river of cheese ran free. I'm not sure how this won Top Chef, but I did enjoy those last two bites. 


The Wontons in Chili Oil, though, were terrible. Tender-ish pork filling, shrimp not detectable. A chili oil with chili flakes, neither of which was spicy, and it only tasted like oily oil. 


Lu Rou Mein is a decent main, but it needed more noodles as it was mostly an ample (and impressive) variety of pickles. Mix for more power...and maximum sour. 


Honey Walnut Shrimp: I think I've sense a pattern. Perhaps the problem could be solved with switching shrimp suppliers and it would fix their wontons as well. These jumbo prawns are the right texture but completely tasteless, and the plum sauce aioli is just a beige mayo. No salt, no sugar, no flavor whatsoever. Even the grapefruit pieces couldn't save this dish. 



Alright, the Tea Smoke Duck is legit. The meat is tender, and the smokiness permeates the meat, all the way down to the bone. I could do without the wrappers and the rest because it mutes the magic of the duck itself, and that's a flavor that shouldn't be suppressed. 

No dessert - I've had enough. I don't know what the fuss is about - Ms Chi has plates with potential, but everything is in need of a minor edit and a major audit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment