Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Crustees Eatery - Los Angeles

A bad name for a fantastic place. I get it, there's crust on pies, but it's hard to take a place like this seriously at first. That said, there's also the "Pie Hole" and "Fat + Flour" to contend with, and I can only conclude that the pie places want you to think they're gross. 


The polar opposite of gross is Crustees, which churns out, obviously pies, but not so obviously chili and a Seafood Gumbo that tastes like it was scooped straight from the bayou. The shrimp and crab bring on the seafood savor, and chicken and sausage make a meaty mix. You get more chunks of sausage than any other meat, but don't worry, this is the opposite of a problem.  


A simple Apple Pie that still tastes like apple is an underrated thing. I love that they make theirs tart rather than sugaring it to death, so it still tastes like a pie full of apple. 


All the sugar they didn't put in the pie went right into their famous Banana Pudding, on the other hand, has all the sugar they didn’t put in the pie. I love me a good banana pudding, but I can't tell you which is better than the rest. This one's good. Super sweet for my taste, but it's good so get it to share if you caught a craving.

I'm not going to lie, nine dollars per pie is pretty steep when the pie's only 5 inches wide. But they are family owned, and good ingredients and rent are never cheap so if I'm supporting anyone nowadays, I'm glad to be supporting them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment