Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Jerusalem Chicken - Los Angeles

It's been a long time since I've really reminisced on my days in the Bronx. I think I've left it all behind but then I stumble upon a place like this and the memories come flooding back. 

It's assembly-line style, an original fast-casual, a set-up stolen by the likes of Tender Green and Chipotle. You start with your protein and build your bowl or pita as you go. The plates remind me of my beloved meat-and-two-sides platters you get on any south Bronx street, just easy-peasy pieces of perfection with so many not-so-simple savors. 


Sitis Original Chicken is this beautifully baked bird stuffed full of the best rice I've ever eaten, catching all the chicken drippings, aromatic with mushrooms and beef. It sits in a lemon sauce that tingles with its tartness, a wake-up for sleepy tastebuds to cut through all that fat. Sides of fried eggplant and pickled red cabbage are rad. 


A separate side of Cauliflower Fritters is impossibly crispy, fried with gooey rice flour. 


Lemon & Garlic Chicken is another favorite, a drier but no less juicy iteration with a fantastically chewy skin. The hummus is on the blander side, but they got those bitter greens just right. Slather every bite with their sharp and sour garlic sauce, and you might never stop eating. 

Wow, I really love good food. And while I do love my fine dining, I LIVE for buried treasures like Jerusalem Chicken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment