Sunday, March 10, 2019

Paul Martin's American Grill - El Segundo

I don't have a very positive impression of Paul Martin's, but that's not to say my thoughts are negative. I just don't have much of an opinion on Paul Martin's, and the their food failed to make one. 


They are exceeding American and very much a grill. They stay true to their name, and they make your favorites not poorly but not exceedingly well. Dishes like Salt & Pepper Shrimp are not the foods of vision, but the shrimp are quite fresh, and the seasoning shows that less is more. I wouldn't call these "lightly fried", but I wouldn't object to the breading either.

There's a side of cockscomb Mac n’ Cheese that they do a great job with. White cheddar dominates the flavor profile, and the nutty finish is very satisfying.


The Braised Short Rib is definitely braised. Tender enough to separate each shred with a fork and plenty of juice within. Mashed potatoes are pretty meh, but I don't mind the splash of horseradish. 


The Seasonal Dessert is a bread pudding, one that is a bit dry and not at all memorable. My friend got the Campfire Sundae for her birthday, and I like that a whole lot more. I'm a sucker for a good spoon of marshmallow fluff. 

The words "good enough" come to mind when I think of Paul Martin’s. A more expensive iteration of Truxton’s in PV, it's all-American with good ingredients that are just close enough to whatever comfort you're craving and whatever your more close-minded older relatives will eat. Not bad at all, but not a place I'd pay for more than a couple times. 
Paul Martin's American Grill Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment