Friday, March 9, 2018

Tropi Tacos - Tulum, Mexico


We go on a taco kick...only to find out all the good places are only open at night. The cabbie drops us off at Tacos Tropi instead, endorsing their "tacos muy ricos."


They are rich, but are just too much. The Tacos Gringas have a healthy helping of pastor, but the marinade is salty, and the chili is heavy. The pineapple is refreshing, but even with a light, white queso, it can't counterbalance the heavy meat.


The Tropical Plate is just as heavy, a saute of thin pastor, beefy bisteca, and juicy mushrooms, pineapple, and onions. A stir-fry of sorts, a desirable combination that spices up a tortilla and stands alone just as well.


The Soup that accompanies the plate is lighter and less tomato-y than I expected, but it's greasy. There as small clusters of ground meat, and it looks like they tossed in whatever the kitchen had left at the end of the day. I don't mind a good taco seasoning, but I don't care to drink it.


The Guacamole cools things off, and it goes great on all the tacos. All the avocados are at optimal ripeness, and they make a smooth, creamy slurry of green.

Tacos Tropi isn't for me. Not bad at all, but my palate will find something more pleasing elsewhere. Not a bad option if you're craving daytime tacos, and I'd rather save myself for Antojitos la Chiapaneca.

1 comment: