Friday, March 9, 2018

Coba Ruins and Punta Laguna Monkey Reserve - Tulum, Mexico

Now THIS is more our style. A tour group that doesn't believe in tour groups, a pricier action-packed, active adventure, just the two of us and a single guide. David is impressive; professional, intelligent, fluent in more languages that he knows what to do with. He picks us up in a comfortable van, and we get out at the gate of Coba. 


William shows us around as the morning sun starts to filter through leafy trees. He is Mayan and speaks impressive English, all of which he can translate to Mayan,  the most authentic guide I can imagine.


We bike along an easy path to Nohoch Mul Pyramid as the cold starts to lift, We're so early that the other tourists haven't arrived. 


The majestic pyramid is calm and quiet, not a soul to be seen. The ascent is no less daunting, though; climb in a zigzag and don't skip leg day.


My aching quads start to heal as we walk the flat path through the Punta Laguna Monkey Reserve. There are a few cute ones in the trees, and they leap, undaunted from branch to branch as we watch.

We get to do some flying of our own soon. A long zipline across a shimmering lake is next on our agenda.

What goes down must canoe back up. 

But we don't stay up for long. A harrowing descent into the mouth of a cavernous cenote, down the ladder into total darkness and meditative silence, just us and the bats. 


There's plenty of time of reflection as every moment of my day flashes through my mind. The depth and breadth of this action-adventure tour stimulates all the senses, and it's only when you get deep into this cave that this whirlwind starts to sink in. I love this tour for its intimacy and excitement. I love the pace at which it flows, and I love never having to stand in line. I contemplate take this tour all over again next time I'm in Tulum, though I'd pay extra to ride the zip line twice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment