Thursday, November 5, 2015

Times Supermarket - Honolulu, HI


I knew I needed to leave California when I started shying away from hipsters on bikes and convulsing at the sight of Toms. I even started crossing the street before the walk signal lit up. Stir crazy didn't begin to describe me - I think just plain crazy was a little more accurate.

So when a short trip to Hawaii was on the horizon, I was ready to luau. I packed a month in advance and read obsessively about every restaurant that ever graced the island. Armed with a hand-drawn map of everything worth visiting, I left no detail unexamined, no stone unturned...Except for the part where I forgot to pack a razor.

Needless to say, the first place we went to was Times Supermarket. I love uni, but I had no desire to let my legs look like one.


Times Grocery had no uni, but it did have plenty of poke for a really right price. The Seaweed Salad was the perfect prequel, and $3 sure bought a bunch. The Salmon Furikake was smooth and slick, but the furikake didn't add much. Then again, salmon that good didn't need much on top. The Spicy Tuna was a sad excuse for spicy. I expected to feel some heat, but it was perfectly seasoned with shoyu and a touch of sesame oil. The Tako was too salty, but the tender texture made it addictive with a side of rice.


The only complaint I had about Times Supermarket was that it didn't have outdoor seating. But all that poke made for one heck of a picnic at a nearby park. Poke comes in all packages, and at Time Supermarket, it seems that some of the best sits in Styrofoam and saran.

No comments:

Post a Comment