Monday, November 23, 2015

Café Firenze - Moorpark


You never forget your first chef-love. It's a love that knows no boundaries, a love that conquers all.

I first fell for Fabio Viviani on my couch during the fifth season of Top Chef. His accent tickled my ears, his Italian-grandma recipes piqued my imagination, and his drive, his ambition, his constant pursuit of perfection warmed me through the coldest of New York winters.


Just watching Fabio work was even better than turning up the heat, but I do wish I had the Short Rib Ravioli to kick it up a notch back then. The dumpling-like ravioli wrappers bulge with impossibly soft short rib, and a drape-y creamy Taleggio cheese sauce folds over the meaty pockets to keep it simple with style.



A single bite of the Roasted Chicken brought the legendary Tom Colicchio to his knees. Described on Top Chef as "the kind of dish that makes you," a mere glimpse of the tender, juice-dripping quarters was unforgettable, and the perfectly-herbed, crispy skin is a flavor I'll never forget.


When Top Chef ended, I silently said my goodbyes. I had loved and I had lost becaus Fabio's Cafe Firenze was far beyond my reach. I accepted that I would never meet my love, and I would only see his food in my dreams.


Instead, I got a happy ending as sweet as the Tiramisu. I didn't expect to see such rich layers unfold up close, alternating sharp with silky, espresso with the thickest, smoothest mascarpone cream, as I never thought I'd move across the country to occupy a table at Fabio's flagship four years later.

My happy ending is bittersweet as I have yet to meet my first chef-love, but the ending is mostly sweet, now that I've tasted his tiramisu.

No comments:

Post a Comment