Tuesday, December 24, 2013

There’s Always Room for The Room Sushi – Los Angeles



Cows have four stomach, and I covet the cows. Imagine how much more I could eat if I had two more stomachs to put it in. But I don’t have 4 stomachs, I only have two. One for sushi, and one for everything else.



Things like Uni go straight into that sushi stomach, except when I say stomach, what I really mean is a bottomless pit that never gets full. I could eat uni forever and never get tired of it. The uni at The Room was just okay, but uni is always too good to resist.




The Salmon Nigiri was plenty fresh as well, and just like the uni, it barely made a dent in the sushi stomach. Even if that stomach was full, there’s always room for salmon.




Since my second stomach resembles the dark pit of a bottomless cave, I guess it’s only fitting that I start with something that lives in one, something like the Eel Avocado Maki, filled to the gills with soft, sweet eel with a healthy dose of avocado and sauce.


All this, and both stomachs are still starving. Even moving from nibbles of nigiri to overstuffed luxury rolls like The Room Special barely makes a dent. Which is hard to believe when you combine spicy blue crab and avocado wrapped with an assortment of salmon, tuna, shrimp, avocado.



And just when I feel like the sushi is getting too wholesome, I discover the Ocean Wind for a mouthful of all that is unhealthy and over-the-top. As if the spicy tuna, battered shrimp tempura, and crazy amounts of crab weren’t enough, it’s topped off with deep-fried flakes and a contrasting combination of sweet eel sauce and savory spicy mayo. A few bites can quickly become one too many so even my bottomless sushi stomach had to share with a friend.


Both of my stomachs will always have room for The Room, but there’s always room to share. I’ll gladly share my extra room with anyone who needs it. As in I’m always happy to give that room to whatever sushi you no longer have room for. Have a small appetite and a tendency to over-order? Come to The Room with me so we can bond.

No comments:

Post a Comment