Friday, December 20, 2013

Marveling at Messob – Los Angeles



I love fine dining. I love wearing pretty clothes for proper sit-down meals with carefully crafted plates of artful combinations, and I love the polish and refinement with which we eat. Sometimes. Other times you just want to dig in.

To be honest, I have no idea how to use a fish spoon, and I’d eat my whole dinner with a salad fork if I had the choice. But while foods like hummus and pita are natural finger foods, even on my lowest-maintenance day I find the idea of eating an entire meal with my bare hands repulsive.



And that’s where injera steps in as Ethiopia’s slightly soggy sourdough-flatbread that acts as an edible napkin. Break off a piece and pinch up some Gored Gored, a chopped beef served practically raw even when you ask for it medium. All those primal meat-hunting hormones will kick in when you chow down on these chewy bits of bleeding beef.


The Super Messob Exclusive for two easily feeds four with more left over than we knew what to do with. And why not use this to try the menu instead of making the agonizing decision between chicken and beef?



Far as I can see, the Doro Wot is Ethiopia’s version of barbecue chicken with a less tangy, spice-soaked sauce. The Siga Wot (same thing with beef) is even better, and the Kittfo, grains of ground beef with a dash of chili, is best.


I got called out for doubling down on my share of the Yebeg Siga Alitcha, but who wouldn’t when confronted with lamb stewed in garlic and ginger?

As if you weren’t already full of meat, the Yemisir Wot made a hearty lentil stew, literally the Siga Wot minus the meat, and even the simply steamed veggies of the Yatakilt Alitcha packed plenty of punch.


I’ve had plenty of Ethiopian food before, and suffice it to say it was never my favorite cuisine. The injera was fun, but I often found it a bit bland. I don’t know what happened at Messob, but the food just came alive. Every bite was full of flavor, and every spice stood out. I used to find eating Ethiopian mildly amusing, but after this meal at Messob, consider me obsessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment