Saturday, October 26, 2013

Santouka Ramen, Mitsuwa – Torrance


There is always a line at Santouka. I’ve gone at 5 PM, I’ve gone at 6 PM, and I’ve gone at 2 PM. Same line, different people…even though they look alike. But don’t look at that line and slip into a stall without one. Not all ramen is created equal, and don’t think for a minute that any of those lineless places will be a close second. Suck it up, and a find a friend to keep you company while you stand single-file, salivating over the slurping that is sure to come.



I’m sure none of the other Mitsuwa stalls are all that regrettable, but Santouka is where it ends. Because after a viscous, smooth-grained bowl of Spicy Miso Ramen with granules of kicking miso clinging to all those al dente noodles, you’ll never eat anywhere else again.  The side of Soy Sauce Egg adds a nice touch but my mom makes them better. Then the Chashu Rice Bowl is totally forgettable so save your money and buy the bigger bowl…of ramen.



Hakata caters to your every whim, but sometimes it’s the inaccessibility that adds to the appeal. They only make 15 or 20 Kimchee Ramen bowls a day so make sure you snag one at least once and add an extra order of chashu. I have a weakness for kimchee, and this thick, flavorful broth is no exception, but the spicy miso actually makes a stronger showing, IMHO.

I wanted to do a sampling of all the South Bay ramen, but after Santouka, I can’t bring myself to go anywhere else. It sounds like a lame way to end, but before you make any judgments, go stand in line for Santouka and shut up and suck it up because that’s what you’ll be doing to your bowl of ramen soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment