Monday, October 28, 2013

North Carolina State Fair – Raleigh


I am the least maternal person I know. I am the least maternal person you know too. I’m willing to bet money on that. But I’d be lying if I  said the idea of being a mother one day has never crossed my mind, especially with the recent boom of babies on Facebook.

Today I dragged my father to the North Carolina State Fair, an event I’ve so sorely missed during all my years away from home. To be assigned vacation right during the fair is absolutely awesome, and when I found out, there were moments of excitement when I could barely catch my breath.





We just walked in.
Me: Let’s get a Turkey Leg!
Dad: But I don’t LIKE turkey…
Me: That’s okay, what do you like? Cheeseburgers? Fries? Bloomin’ onion? Ribs, barbecue, etc, etc…
Dad: I want pizza!
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find pizza at a state fair? I do now.




I also got some Sweet Corn. You can’t go wrong with corn. But make sure you go to a place that roasts it over a grill with a flame that chars the husk. This one just wasn’t that good without the char.






Me: Hey, let’s try a Frozen Banana dipped in bacon!
Dad: But you can’t mix sweet and salty.
Me: Haven’t you ever heard of salted caramel?
Dad: No.
Me: Oh just try it.
Dad: No! I don’t like it.
Me: How do you know you don’t like it if you’ve never tried it?




I also got a Deep Fried Milky Way. Because what state fair is complete without a heart attack on a stick? Then we looked at the livestock.
Me: Oooo, look at those cows/goats/rabbits/[insert name of something cute and fuzzy here]!
Dad: They smelllllllllll

I love the state fair. Not just for the food but the culture and the fact that you can’t help but have fun. I even like the smells. I’m still not over the thrill of finally getting to go again for the first time in 6 years. And what’s even better, now that I’ve taken my dad to the fair, I feel like a child might be easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment