Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Rice Man - Torrance


The farmer's market in Torrance is my favorite place in the South Bay. In all of LA, it joins ranks with the LA Flower Market and the Getty and Getty Villa. There is something soothing about the bright, open-air stalls, brimming with everything fresh, organic, and homemade. 


My Asian food craving hit right around Rice Man, and a duet of stamped Spam Musubi hit my craving hard. This popular Hawaiian snack is right on point, but despite the obvious benefits of certified organic rice, the texture is a little too mushy for my liking.


Same goes for the Juicy Beef Don. The thinly-shaved beef on top is soft and savory, but the onions are overcooked to a pulp and bland. The "juicy" component sogs up the rice, and though the flavor is right on, the texture of the rice is downright off-putting.

The farmer's market is retail therapy in its finest form, and edible shopping is my favorite guilty pleasure. I'm looking forward to trying that lamb sausage we bought, and those organic eggs are worth every penny, but Rice Man is one food stall I can skip.

No comments:

Post a Comment