Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Cafe Piccolo - Long Beach


The food can't be good. I accept this fact from the moment I walk in because there is no way the food will be of any acceptable quality after they spent all their money on decorating. Cafe Piccolo is one of the restaurants I've seen, and even the minimalist beauty of icons like French Laundry can't compare to this indoor-outdoor paradise garden. The indoor area feels like Victorian living room, and because it's winter, the outdoor patio is greenhouse-d in clear walls so you can still eat in Eden-after-dark, by the quiet gurgling of a mini-waterfall. Patio umbrellas twinkle like stars, and a warm brick floor glows by the light of a hearth-y fire pit.


My eyes scan the menu, and I think it must be an elaborate prank. The prices are so reasonable, and each entree comes with a salad or a cup of soup. The Salad is a generous portion, with croutons, a standard dressing, and a couple of olives.


The Curry Lentil Soup is the best decision I've made all night. Hearty lentils swim in a thick broth with a light touch of curry, and a full-bodied flavor is rounded out by an accent of bay leaves.


The portions are just perfect, but we can't resist a Steamed Clams appetizer. The white wine caper sauce clings to the briny clams, adding a bright breath of boldness.


The clams are light, but I need something more substantial for an entree. That's when these dense ropes of al dente Black Linguine with Shrimp and Calamari hit my hunger hard. The pasta is among the best I've had, and the secret is in the saffron. The sauce is rich with pungent garlic soaked in butter, but it's the saffron that makes the cream sauce pop.


From sea to land, with a classic Linguine Carbonara. The proscuitto is thicker-cut and infuses the whole plate with bacon cream. 


When is too much cream too much? Never. The Coppa Mascarpone is like a whipped parfait, rich chocolate lightened by airy mascarpone, sweet tempered by an amaretto-cookie crunch. 

I love Long Beach because it's so full of surprises. Small slices of paradise tucked into all sorts of random corners and streets, just waiting to be discovered. Cafe Piccolo is a hidden gem for sure, and part of me hopes it stays that way so that I can always find a seat.
Cafe Piccolo Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment