Thursday, March 23, 2017

Hamakaze Sushi Izakaya - Los Angeles


We made it just in time for happy hour, but that may have been a mistake. Their sushi list looks legit, and you probably get what you pay for here. 


They do the basics well. The Seaweed Salad is cold and fresh, crisp and a little sweet. Textbook and much better than my picture makes it look.


The Agedashi Tofu simmers in a warm broth with a slow-to-sog tempura coat that keeps the tofu soft.


We didn't even pay for the Salmon Tartare; it's free for checking in on Yelp. The salmon is fresh, though I don't think it's raw. The ikura on top adds a refreshing touch to the mixture of mayo, and the cucumber is a genius cracker-substitute.


The Kick Ass Japanese Fries are just disappointing. They're home fries, and they are perfectly crisp and golden brown. There may have been a sprinkling of togarashi, but really, they are just chunks of potato. They are by no means bad, but it is really hard to get excited about cubes of potato, and I would love to know who got excited enough to call it "kick ass". 


The Aloha Roll is a preview to their sushi potential, and I wish I'd had the time and stomach space to explore it a little more. The crab and spicy tuna filling has a nice, though non-authentic balance, and the tuna on top is clearly quality.

What I think happened is that we ordered all the wrong stuff. We were in the mood for a light, simple dinner, and I don't think what we ordered truly reflected the potential of the place. Instead of a star rating, I think a thumbs-up placeholder is in order, at least until I can come back to try the sushi.
Hamakaze Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment