Thursday, January 23, 2014

Boring Blue Daisy Café – Santa Monica



When we think of all things organic, we think of things that are free, natural, made by mother nature, the most meticulous artist of them all. Our minds zoom to all things zealously zen, and sometimes we even slip into something slightly spiritual.

Organic is awesome in its purest definition. After all, who doesn’t want something down-to-earth, of the earth, and from the earth? But sometimes, at granola grub-hubs like Blue Daisy Café, organic tries too hard.




The Organic Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon tried so hard to be down-to-earth that it became as plain as dirt. The eggs are fluffy and fresh, but there was nothing natural about the salmon. I recently learned that some indigenous New Zealand tribes used salt as a currency, and I wonder how they'd feel if they knew that Blue Daisy Café had squandered their entire GDP in a slab of salmon. I assume this salmon was hot smoked because I've never had smoked salmon cooked, but judging by the complete lack of smoked taste, I honestly think they drowned it in salt to cover up forgetting the smoke.




The Salmon Crepe is the eggs with salmon for people who are lazy. Exact same thing except they wrap the crepe around the food for you so it spares you the effort of trying to intersperse it between bites. I have to say, this soft, light-yet-chewy, slightly sweet crepe was the best crepe I’ve ever had in my life.


I hadn’t expected the crepe to be so perfect because the it was the zucchini hash browns that had diners Yelping with pleasure. Well either everyone who raved about them slipped something special into their coffee that morning or the fryer is on the fritz. The hash browns were loaded with oil and very little flavor, and I wouldn't have known they contained zucchini if not for the few flecks of green.


Horrible hash browns and salty salmon aside, there’s no doubt organic foods taste better and Blue Daisy Café did nothing to dissuade me of that. It’s just that sometimes people try so hard to be purely natural they just end up being boring. Considering I only tried one thing in two different forms, I can’t speak for the rest of the menu, which is quite extensive, but I can say it did look all that innovative or exciting. And that’s okay too, but I can make organic eggs and less salty salmon at home. But I would come for a take-out stack of crepes on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment