Thursday, June 28, 2012

Home Cooking – Jinzhou


Every foodie knows that the best meals are made at home.

There is no substitute for farm-raised Chicken delivered in a mule-drawn cart stewed with homegrown green beans and potatoes fresh out of grandma’s backyard garden. Truly. There’s no going back to tasteless grocery-store white meat after that.

Spareribs that fall off the bone are sprinkled and spattered with sugar and vinegar fulfill any meat craving.

Tomato and Egg is made with the same ingredients every time, but tastes as different as the people who make it. My grandmother’s has no equal, but my uncle comes pretty close.

I dub this dish Candied Sweet Potato, but expect none of the soggy hot mess you get from US restaurants and retirement homes at Thanksgiving. Each square of sweet potato is evenly coated with a layer of molten sugar, which hardens instantly upon dipping in cold water for a crunchy shell with a hot gooey center. The one pictured here wasn’t homemade, and my mother makes it better, but I live for this dish, and I just had to set you salivating.

No comments:

Post a Comment