Friday, February 9, 2024

Panelas Brazil Cuisine - Redondo Beach

What's a Redondo Beach neighborhood bistro doing among LA's 101 best?

To be honest, I don't know. I don't know much about Brazilian food, but this was a good place to learn. 


I know all about the Pao de Queijo, the delectable chewy cheese bread. These are on the bigger side, but the texture is spot on. 


Feijoada is a bucket list dish, and this one is my first. A heart stew of black beans, so savory and salty, full of chunks of beef, bone-in ribs, chunks of pork, and slices of sausage. It's a dense dish, and even a few bites can be filling. Mix every bite with rice and farofa for texture, and don't overlook the show-stealing collard greens.



The Brazilian Plate has picanha or a protein of your choice, and it's a pretty good cut of meat. A bit of chewing required but a nice mix with a little fat. Break the egg yolk across the top and eat with all the sides.

I am a little confused about Panelas. I like the food a lot, but I'm not sure it deserves the prestige it gets, up there with the likes of Bestia and Kato. There is a range of price points among LA's 101 Best, but even compared to iconic food trucks like Mariscos Jalisco, I'm not sure Panelas was all that memorable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment