Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Bollywood Zaika - Redondo Beach

Fast-casual Indian, the best takeout there is. The never-soggy breads travel fluffy, the curries reheat like they were never cold, and the spices soak deeper and deeper with time, making leftovers better by the day. 

Bollywood Zaika is no exception, but they do make an exceptional Palak Paneer. I’ve never cared for this dish, but I’d put up a fight for this one. The spinach has a creamy quality, the fenugreek adds a pop of pungency, nothing like the pulpy filler-slime you might find elsewhere. The taste is bold and fresh, and the chunks of paneer are bright and cheesy, a firm and assertive contrast against the surrounding slurry. 


Order the Chicken Vindaloo with cautious recommendation because when it comes to spice, they don’t play. The chicken comes in tender chunks, perky with a bit of tart, a lot of smooth tomato, and a slightly nutty finish to delay the inevitable burn. It’s not Indian-hot, but it’s at least Indian-mild, which will set a spice-wimp sweating. You won’t die but have some milk or yogurt handy because it’ll hurt you good. 

Garlic Naan is is good, though this one has just a dusting of the breath-killer. The texture is soft and chewy, evenly thick, evenly cooked. Do make sure to order a side of rice as the naan alone won’t be enough for two.

I like Bollywood Zaika, but I think I would love it if I tried it some more. If they have even one other entree as life-changing as the palak paneer, I’ll add them a star on my Bollywood boulevard.

No comments:

Post a Comment