Monday, July 22, 2019

Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong - Buena Park, CA


Anthony Bourdain loved Kang Ho Dong Baekjeong, and how could he not? I'll butcher the pronunciation every time, but their food speaks loud and clear. 


I love all the meat, but I come equally for the Banchan. Plenty of pickles, cucumbers and this perfectly marinated kimchee, which I could eat by the pound. There's a saucy square of silken tofu, slices of pink daikon, and a vinegary lettuce salad in the lighter selections, but my favorite is this crispy, flavor-packed kimchee pancake. There's even a cold and sweet daikon soup to soothe all the burn. I just wish they refilled these dishes - they don't last long at a table of six. 

We went with the Beef Combo and got a couple add-ons, which is more than enough to go around. The best part is that they cook it for you and a powerful fume hood keeps the smoke out of your eyes. 


Start with thin slices of brisket and drag them through the signature house sauce. It resembles a ponzu but better, and it makes the best beef-bath with a dash of wasabi. Add a few grains of simple salt to make the savor pop. 


Next is a Prime Boneless Short Rib so marbled I swear it could be wagyu. Juicy and melty, this one goes so fast. While your meat grills, a line of egg wraps around in a fluffy omelet. Corn with melty cheese is gooey goodness, and there's even a kimchee stew to go over the optional rice. I love the corn and egg, but same with the banchan, I wish they'd give us more. 


Beef Tongue takes its time, cooking tender and thin. 


Marinated short ribs are more of the good stuff with a kalbi that is to die for. 



Slabs of Pork Belly to finish, and you'll eat it up despite being full. I love the fatty pork, but the beef is the reason we came. 

Quality meat on a deceptively well-designed grill that cooks every slice as even and tender as the last. The short ribs are to die for, and I plan on dying for more real soon.
Kang Ho Dong - Baek Jeong Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment