Friday, January 4, 2019

Day 9 - Kauai Beer Co - Lihue, HI

You have no business in Lihue unless you have business in Lihue, if Lonely Planet is to be believed.

But when in Lihue, if you must be in Lihue, the food and drink options won’t leave you lonely. 


Their beer company does support day drinking, and a flight of their seven brews plus a nitro is a fitting farewell to this island. The brews list is long, and it covers an impressive range. 


I’m sad to see that they’re fresh out of the Guava IPA, but the Beer Company IPA is a smooth sub. Standouts include the Black Limousine, an indescribable, almost dessert, stout-like but more dark than stormy schwarzbier, and it’s even better as a nitro.


Stick to the beer. Their pub fare is fair, and some of it fares less well than others. The oxtail stew, for example, had to be subbed for Beef Stew, and I wish I’d ordered something else. It’s thick, like the texture of a gumbo, but it’s like drinking a chunky gravy. It has a less than 50/50 ratio of bits of beef/potato to liquid and was heavy on the salt.


Though the stew did sink, the Poutine Fries will float. The fries were pretty good in gravy and take well to a drizzling melty cheese.


The Rice Street Reuben will do as well, a nice little stack of thin pastrami on rye.

‘Bye bye Kauai, I’ll see you again in a couple of months. I love the beauty of this island, and I can’t think of better a farewell than a black limousine beer in hand. I doubt I’ll end up back here the next time, but I did enjoy their brews this once. 
Kauai Beer Company Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment