Monday, November 19, 2018

The Depot - Torrance

So this is where all the cool older kids hang out. Serious-looking guys in suits chowing down on a mixed meat platter, striped-sweater couples sipping cocktails...The Depot is suave-casual, like the living room of the fancy Victorian house of the aunt you grew up simultaneously admiring and being a tiny bit terrified of. 


Be terrified of me. I tried the Rock Shrimp Sausages, and I just might breathe on you. Tender, shrimp-meaty logs of creativity. I like these a lot, and I like the crispy rangoon wontons too, but the twice-baked garlic sauce is what really rocks about this dish. I actually ate the individual cloves of roasted garlic off the plate because they were that good. I'm super happy with this dish. My husband at bedtime? Not so much.


Neutralizing garlic with Grilled Scallops...in garlic sauce. Tender, barely-seared sea-steaks on a mashed potato bed.


I'm sensing a theme here. The food at The Depot will make your night and ruin your marriage. I've never stolen food from my husband, but I ate half his dinner without asking and I'm not really sorry. He got this Aji Tuna special on a bed of beets and gorgonzola. First of all, I've never had a tuna steak taste this good. They're usually dense and bland, but this one is softer than sliced bread and the greatest thing since. And damn, do they know how to season! 


Forget the tuna. This is the Chilean Sea Bass has to be the best thing on the menu because I can't imagine anything beating this. Each 
bite is buttery and supple; giant flakes of almost creamy, savory rich-fish. A sweet side of mashed butternut squash is hearty, and the snow peas crunch crisp and green. They're doused in butter and sea bass juice and it's like the best semi-soup ever.


I can't breathe. I've spent the better part of an hour using my dinner fork like a shovel. Picking out a couple of desserts. The Lemon Tart Brulee with orange sauce is a great combo. Creamy-pudding citrus filling sitting in an orange lake. 


The BEST Banana Cream Pie? I think...yeah, that's about right. Big banana chunks with a bunch of sweet custard-y cream, some thicker whip drizzled with caramel and pecans. Can't finish in one sitting, makes a hell of a leftover for later.

I was worried. I had no idea what to expect from The Depot. Never heard of it, never even noticed it sitting there. Who are you Michael Shafer? You are SO on my radar!


Depot Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment