Monday, November 6, 2017

Sushi Day - Gardena

I have a problem. I just reviewed one sushi restaurant, and I have three others on deck, not including Kantaro because I don't need to review it again for the 6th time. I've been on a super sushi binge for weeks, and my addiction is a craving that cannot be contained.

They say that acknowledging the problem is the first step, but I'm way past that now. I've advanced to the stage of addressing the issue. To quit cold turkey would be impossible, and I can't physically stop myself from the indulgence. But if I'm going to stuff my face, at least I can do it with half-price nigiri. 


I know, sushi on sale is sketchy at best, and they usually skim more than half the quality off the top. But this Tuna is hardly second rate. Not exactly a sophisticated bluefin, but still a fresh, lovely cut. The Scallop with yuzu pepper is just as fresh with a slightly sweet finish. The Octopus is quite tender, and the Eel is a step up from grocery-store unagi. It doesn't taste pre-frozen, and I'm more than fine with this.


The rolls are as authentic as any restaurant is not, but the fusion-y rice-rockets are always good fun. The Dynamite Roll is a guilty pleasure, sushi purists and snobs be damned. The glorified California roll is packed with ripe avocado, a decadent topping of baked shrimp, scallop, and imitation crab smothered in mayo, dripping in egg-whip sin. Cloying and sickening, but in a good way.


The Spider Roll is a classic; any excuse for a soft shell crab. Needs less rice, more crab.


The Caterpillar Roll, another classic. Fresh water eel and imitation crab inside, gooey avocado on top. Doesn't need the crab, wish there was more eel, but it all tastes pretty good together so no real complaints at all.

If I'm going to chow down, at least there are places where I can chow down for cheap. But to call Sushi Day cheap is a bit unfair to them. Cheap implicates quality as well as quantity, which doesn't accurately describe the sushi here. The quality is actually better than expected for the price, and their nigiri is legitimately middle-of-the-road and would probably fetch a higher price in not-Gardena. It's hard not to enjoy this cute, clean little joint especially after their dollar-sake deals, and if you happen to be in the neighborhood, I could casually recommend Sushi Day. 
Sushi Day Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment