Tuesday, September 27, 2016

LA County Fair - Pomona


This is one of few occasions I can honestly say, I'm not just here for the food. Three years in a row I've come to see Karen perform, and every year Venardo's Circus doesn't disappoint. They always dazzle with the tried-and-true, but each year they astonish with something new.


Karen combines the elegance of hoop and T-bar for an Alice in Wonderland theme. Her performance is mesmerizing, and I watch her with bated breath as my hoop of Fried Pineapple rotisseries around a solid stick. Cooking softens the acid, and a moderate coat of batter tempers the tang.



Sweet awakens a craving for salt, and I found a gem of a pickles-in-every-way vendor. I couldn't bring myself to try pickles stuffed with nutella, but the Pickle Chips are a non-gross mini-adventure. Think salt n' vinegar chips with a little more juice and just as much crunch.



I never leave without my deep fried Oreos, but the Fried Klondike beckons just as hard. Not the best batter: ice cream ratio, but there's potential in everything fried.


Comparing fried food with the strength and artistry of an aerialist would be a stretch, but everyone goes to the fair for a reason. I go for the show, but just like everyone, I have cheat days too, and I can't think of a better place to feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment