Thursday, May 26, 2016

Nishiki Market - Kyoto


Sometimes the best way to tour a market is to sample your way through. Nishiki Market in 10-15 bites:


Sawawa makes warabimochi, but I didn't want to go for a giant box. The Green Tea Mochi is a great other option, chewy and cool. The Green Tea Manju is softer, doughier, channeling a harder bao but just as good.


Manju and mochi are already putting me into food coma, but Strong Coffee at Pulau Deco jolts me wide awake.


Should have waited til Konnamonja for coffee. It would have gone well with their fluffy soy milk donuts, which are like regular donuts but so much better.


Dessert then dinner, that's how it goes. Eel is soft on a stick, and the Squid is served whole, with all the belly roe intact. Might have been better served warm.


I'm almost full by the Karikari Kakase, but we have to stop for Takoyaki. As usual, more yaki than tako, but the soft, starchy balls are easy to eat and have a nice fried flavor.


Between all these little bites, there are plenty of pickles to try. Garlic, daikon, cabbage, melon. Nothing is safe from a Japanese tub of brine. I would have bought some to bring home, but I don't know how long they keep.

There is nothing in Kyoto I enjoyed more than noshing my way through Nishiki. My greatest regret is only going once. There's so much more to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment