Friday, May 20, 2016

Agalico – Toshima, Tokyo, Japan


I’ve always wanted to play menu roulette. Just close my eyes and point and go where ever my index finger takes me. Well Agalico was more than willing to indulge my sense of adventure…or force my hand… as the server placed the specials menu in front of me insistently.

The regular menu was in English and accompanied by illustrative photos, but that one was too easy. The only thing I could read on the specials menu was the prices. But she insisted, and I persisted. S
pecial #1 and special #2 looked like uncostly mistakes to make so I pointed to both, and we got one of each.


I have only good things to say about Agalico’s staff. My first order is met with a polite nod and not even the slightest hint of a smirk as we receive our appetizer… of Mango Sorbet. It’s a bit pricey at 670 yen, or 6-7 dollars, but it is smooth and fruity and surprisingly refreshing on a humid after-rain night.


Special #2
is a lot more substantial for supper. Smoky shreds of what looks and tastes like salty corned beef with an egg yolk in the middle is a sizzling companion to beer-drinking. Sorbet with a side of meat...#onlyinJapan.


A morning of rich sushi followed by a night of heavy meat? Thank goodness for the Sauteed Morning Glory, a welcome veggie break. The hollow stems lighten the dense, down-cooking leaves, and the pungent combination of garlic and natto settles the stomach.


Shrimp Toast. Finally, something we recognize. Toasty, crispy, and light, the shrimpy parts swim delightfully in a mouthful of beer.

A random night of getting lost with a side of awkward adventure as the only non-locals at a buzzing small-plate bar, then thrust into a menu roulette, a most dangerous game. Alright Tokyo, I’ve met my match. Let’s play another round. 

No comments:

Post a Comment