Thursday, July 9, 2015

Mediterraneo Kitchen & Bar - Hermosa Beach


Two terrible restaurants later, PTSD had me equating fine dining with a voluntary root canal. I know how cynical I sound, but cut me some slack after that meal from hell at The Church Key!



I figured I would at least keep the food down if I started small and played it safe. The Mix & Match was as safe as it gets, a board of charcuterie and cheese. The pungent Saint Agur Blue was creamy and right on, and the El Valle Manchego and Carr Valley Gran Canaria were crumbly and smooth. The Bernina Bresaola was a cure, the Angel's Duck Proscuitto was greasy, fatty, melty goodness, the Angel's Venison & Berkshire had some game, and they had the Iglesias Jamon Serrano just right.


It's also hard to mess up Traditional Hummus, and the texture was right on.


Caprese is yet another strong and safe starter - heirloom tomatoes trump the traditional, a sweeter accompaniment to soft mozzarella.



I could only play it safe for so long, and that fresh, sweet n' Spicy Blue Crab Pintxo turned out to be a gamble that paid off.



I decided that there were more fish in the sea, and the Grilled Green Lip Mussels were quite the catch,  meaty and tender, with Spanish viniagrette to lighten them up.



The Antonio was dense with basil cream, a shelled, stewing mix of mussels, scallops, and shrimp.



The Seafood & Fennel was a bit more creative, chilled bites of stretchy squid and shrimp with fennel as clean and crisp as the ocean breeze across the pier.



The seafood was sublime, but it was time to get my feet back on the ground. The Roasted Brussel Sprouts were both earthy and airy with heavy garlic and a light a dash of lemon.



Roasted Dates are always a good idea, especially when you add prosciutto. I prefer bacon with blue cheese, but I still can't complain.




Rich and heavy Filet Mignon Tips over an impressive tagliatelle stayed savory with juicy mushrooms rounded out with red pepper flakes.

I enjoyed every last crumb at Mediterraneo, and the flavors were far from flaky. 
There's no medicine strong enough to cure the anxiety The Church Key gave me, but Mediterraneo was the right step towards a cure. They delivered reliable quality with finesse, and that kind of fine dining is fine by me.

Click to add a blog post for Mediterraneo Kitchen & Bar on Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment