Monday, July 20, 2015

Guaging Green Temple - Redondo Beach



I have a hard time judging American vegetarian because it's one of few cuisines that feels intentional. Authentic Chinese is made with so little meat anyway, Thai is conducive to tofu, and south Indian is practically ruined by anything carnivorous. But American vegetarian often feels like the meat is obviously missing or removed, and it's that perception of absence that tends to cloud my judgement about the presence.



Even the Jamaica Tea tasted a little bit diluted. The root flavor was new and refreshing, an unexpected subtle tang that I can only vaguely describe as a fruity-rooty hybrid. Unfortunately, it also tasted a bit watered-down.




The Green Mix was easily one of the best veggie bowls I've ever had, a small, tasteful portion of farmer's market fresh broccoli, asparagus, green beans, and corn. But at the end of the day, it's just a bowl of vegetables, however sublimely steamed. The tofu sauce was what saved it - this impossibly unique grainy gravy that makes anything taste like a million bucks. I loved it, but unfortunately it wasn't quite worth seven bucks.




The Tostaditas were basically gigantic, glorified nachos that needed more salt. The baked corn tortillas were big chips topped with black beans, etc. The vegetables remained infallibly fresh, but the combination was a bit bland. This dish probably could have been saved by the tofu sauce.


When it comes to restaurants, I tend to be a splitter. Usually it's a pretty clear line between what's good and what's no bueno, but Green Temple has me in a different kind of split. The food is impressively fresh, but I could have done it myself for less than half the price. The tofu sauce was worth every penny, but for that, all I need is a tub and a ten.
Click to add a blog post for Green Temple on Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment