Wednesday, November 12, 2014

DandE's Frozen Custard & Sorbet - San Pedro, Belize


I started missing small-town San Ignacio the minute after I stepped off the water taxi into tourist-town San Pedro. Not a cloud in the sky with a beautiful beachfront for miles, but San Ignacio's personal touch and fresh-squeezed fruit juice had clearly drowned along the way.

I had sat below deck on the water taxi, shielded from the wind and sweltering sun, and so I didn't think I had lost anything on the way. What I didn't realize was that going to San Pedro was the equivalent of throwing half my money into the deep blue sea. Everything had doubled or tripled in price somewhere along the way, and I was missing those dollar-dollops from the San Ignacio ice cream stall. 


When I need a fix, I need a fix so I went to DandE's where the custard isn't custard, and the ice cream is thrice the price. Unlike the half-sweetened, half-ice concoction from the streets of San Ignacio, DandE's dense, triple-cream is ice cream without the ice, pure cream and sugar, for here or to go. The Soursop is sugar with a hint of tropical, flavored fruit with not much fruit, soursop without the sour. I like my sugar with Cookies and Cream, and a crunchy sugar cone sure hit the spot. 

DandE's ice cream may be better, but this quality will cost you. But there is a difference between value and price, and that day, I valued my cravings way more than I valued the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment