Sunday, November 23, 2014

Cruising to OP Cafe - Santa Monica


When it comes to technology, I operate at level G. G for Grandma. A really old grandma who squints at the large-print screen and miss-clicks with her limited-range-of-motion arthritic fingers. To this day, I've barely become competent at posting to my own blog. 



Even grandma has her modern-day favorites, and 
imgur.com serves as my favorite waste of time. Photo sharing sites are about as original as Huevos Rancheros, but imgur reinvents the wheel by assembling the best parts with the all the best tools. The best of the best, the most viral of the viral. The huevos rancheros of the huevos rancheros. Two fresh perfectly-poached eggs over textbook corn tortillas on a bed of soft and savory black beans.


The internets have changed a lot in the past ten years, almost as much as dietary restrictions. Back in my day, it took ten minutes just to load my email, and Celiac's wasn't even a disease. Unlike me, OP Cafe's chefs kept up with the times, serving up sweet-wheat-textured Gluten Free Pancakes that taste like a dietary restriction without the restriction. These pancakes have a thinner, firmer, more definitive texture, and I prefer this version to the mushier flour of regular pancakes.


The best part of imgur is the captions. The wealth of wit from a meeting of the minds creates a forum where genius compounds. I don't know what kind of collaboration takes place in the OP kitchen, but it compounded into DIY tortillas full of eggs, beans, and salsa atop a fatty, savory shredded pork in need of a little salt. "
Machaca con Huevos" is an inadequate caption for a plate so well put-together.

They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but I sure showed them. After only a year of trolling imgur, I finally learned that "OP" stands for "original poster". And after only a year of living in SoCal, I discovered that OP Cafe serves one of the better brunches south of LA. You learn something new every day, and it won't be that many days before I pop in my dentures and venture back to OP Cafe.

The O.P. Cafe Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment