Saturday, July 12, 2014

Filling My Belly at Ford’s Filling Station – Culver City


I’m a nobody. I was born to Chinese peasants, and in a world that values who you know as much as what you know, I wasn’t exactly born for glory. Maybe my upbringing made me understand the value of standing on your own two feet or maybe I’m just bitter, but nothing irks me more than people who stand on the shoulders of prodigal parents.


Chef Benjamin Ford is the son of Harrison Ford, and Ford’s Filling Station stood for everything I hate. But still, I had to see what all the fuss was about so I guess I just had to eat there before it closed.

Shortly after I sat down at an unpretentious outdoor table, the mere thought of Ben Ford climbing the culinary food chain had me scowling at my starters. I couldn’t bear the thought of him getting famous and rich…but no one would ever be as rich as the perfect mix of crisp and fat in the Pork Belly Lettuce Wraps. Their savory flavor is both braised and burnt, and the spicy sauce topped it off just right.


The thing is, it’s easy to succeed when you have the right stuff, and it’s hard to make pork belly poorly. But brisket isn’t as easy to work with, and the Smoked Brisket Taquitos full of soft, flavorfully shredded beef continued to impress.

The Octopus Tostadas took every bit of scowl off my face. The balance of soft cephalopod on a crunchy chip with a crisp kick of jalapeno and a lightness of lime were a mouthful of fresh air.


The Garlic Shrimp were just shrimp in garlic and butter, but they definitely took my breath away…mainly because I couldn’t really breathe in polite company after consuming this slightly pungent dish. Don’t let that stop you - the sauce is well worth the smell.


The special of the day was a Goat Cheese Gnocchi. Soft potato pillows with a freshly creamy tomato sauce and creamy goat cheese was a lot of softness on the same plate. The execution of this simple dish was more seamless than Harrison Ford’s acting skills, but I would have like a little more edge.



The Roasted Beet Salad is fine by itself, but it acts as a great side for any entree. The leafy butter lettuce with sweet golden beets is light and luxurious, and it doubles as a main dish for those craving something a light.


The Flattened Chicken conjures the image of the chicken who crossed the road and never made it to the other side. And it is probably the best chicken I’ve ever had. The meat is so tender and juicy it literally melts in your mouth, and the side of mashed potatoes and succotash make a strong showing while highlighting the chicken itself.I never expected something so fowl-y named to blow my mind.

I hate people who coast through life on who they know instead of what they know, but I don’t doubt that Ben Ford knows his stuff. I guess I was one of the last people to eat at Ford’s Filling Station, and I mourn its closing as deeply as the entertainment industry would mourn the loss of Harrison Ford. It’s easy to be good when you have all the goods, and Chef Ford has more goods to his name than just his name. I don’t know what he’ll fill me up with next, but I can’t wait to try. 



No comments:

Post a Comment