Friday, October 7, 2011

Bona Fide Butcher Shop - Boston



After placing my own head on the chopping block at various intervals of the cut-throat specialty of Ob/Gyn, it is only appropriate that I visit the Butcher Shop to confirm my newly acquired ability to sympathize with the food. Upon arrival, I found the clever use of butcher paper in lieu of tablecloths comically appropriate for my present situation. Plus the restaurant-wide theme of high tables with comfy barstools compelled me to mirthfully mingle with a glass of wine. And their extensive wine list wasn’t exactly discouraging…There’s bound to be a Bordeaux lying in wait.

Country comedian Rodney Carrington once crooned “I like my women like I like my chicken, with a little bit of fat on the ends.” Clearly, even the (self-proclaimed) rednecks know the secret behind pate…(and in light of my recent weight gain, I’m hoping the men in my life agree with the rednecks)…



My friend and I tried 3 of the house-made pates via the Petite Charcuterie. The lamb pate was shreddy but smooth, not really spreadable but close enough. And close enough is close enough for most things in life…except maybe condoms… Not a fan of the ham and parsley en croute. It’s good ham but in the end, it’s just ham. I’m also ambiguous about most things en croute – the loaf is too sweet, and I vaguely recall it obscuring the flavor of the Gamebird pate. To be fair, the extra crust added an interesting layer of much-needed flavor and texture to the humble ham. As for the duck liver mousse, there’s really nothing regrettable about duck liver mousse…Ever. Interestingly, this one’s texture was partially pureed, which my friend speculated was what the French feed their babies. Clearly, French babies don’t know how good they have it!



When it was time to serve entrees, the Merguez was served with a set of brass balls. It takes a good set to serve a sausage naked for scrutiny, with no bun to hide behind, no toppings to lurk beneath. The only accompaniment to this lusciously lamby masterpiece was the equally baller smoked tomato (ok fine, no more ball jokes)... The permeating smokiness enhances the sweetness of the tomato, and the sweetness neutralizes the saltiness of the sausage. Meredith Grey once said to Derek Shepard amidst a field of burning candles, “We should be extraordinary together instead of ordinary apart.” Except there was nothing ordinary about either, even apart. Still not sure where/how the border of boquerones fits in...



The Boeuf Bourguignon is a feast of marvelously marbled beef in thick gravy - props for thick gravy that doesn’t taste like a pound of flour. The crostini island in the center soaks up the gravy but is just toasted enough to add a satisfying crunch. The poached egg could have been runnier, but again, close enough.

Don’t be fooled by the veggies that I got, I’m still, I’m still all about the Shop…And let me tell you right now, my loyalty to meat goes way deeper than that of “Jenny” I’ll-sing-bad-lyrics-shamelessly-to-sell-CDs Lopez…Ok, no more star bashing, Rodney, “Jenny”, I’ll send you some pate.

No comments:

Post a Comment