Monday, November 30, 2020

Nouilles of 3rds UPDATE - Lomita


Most people don’t know this, but I am indebted to Nouilles of 3rds. Because pregnancy also comes in thirds, and I wouldn't have made it through the first third if I didn't have Nouilles of 3rds. 

During first trimester, I was one of the “lucky” ones. No nausea or vomiting, but I had my own equivalent; fatigue and a complete lack of appetite so severe I could barely force feed myself a single banana.


Everyone finds a food they can handle, and for me it was the House Noodle Soup. Almost once a week, I'd muster all my strength to get into the car for almost a full bowl of noodle soup. The beef broth is full of flavor and savor, rich without being too fatty or thick. That giant bone that's full of marrow adds extra layers of depth, and the rice noodles are always cooked just right. And Nouilles of 3rds was extra kind. I just don't love their meatballs,and when I would ask to substitute the meatball for extra tendon, they loaded it up without batting an eye, and I would get a bowl so full of tendon that I would catch a bit of it every time I dipped my spoon.



I had to know if I loved that soup just because I was pregnant or because I just love that soup so I ordered that soup again. I just love that soup. It's just as good today as it was all those other days, though it may be even better without the progesterone to screw with my system.


They make other dishes too, Cambodian/Asian staples from the south if you're looking for less liquid. They make a good Hainan Chicken, for example, a deceptively difficult dish. The chicken is tender with none of the sliminess that sneaks in when chicken is poached. The ginger dip is strong and stings in a way that is hard-hitting without being a full-on assault. The garlic rice is just right, made in a broth with a little edge. 


The Beef Loc Lac is juicy little bits, tiny bites sautéed with a sweeter soy. It’s not my favorite thing only because I like the chicken better. 

I think I’ve had everything on the menu now, and I have yet to find something that doesn't make me smile. In a pandemic world where there is less and less reason to smile, at least I'll be smiling about the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment