Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Natraliart Jamaican Restaurant & Market - Los Angeles

Good food is an art, and Natraliart employs some in making Jamaican food in a way that is healthy. 

Fortunately, it is healthy. They minimize their use of grease, and you can gorge to your heart's content and still feel like you did okay. 


Unfortunately, it is healthy. Too healthy. The rice is dry and the peas are bland. The Oxtail is juicy and flavorful, but there's no grease drippings for the rice to catch. Meat is tender and it does fall off the bone with minimal help. Always love a side of plantains, and the greens are bright and refreshing.


A crusty Beef Patty is a must, and I must say it is delicious. The filling has a spice mix, and it's on the mild side for those who sweat at a little spice. 


The Curry Goat is a personal favorite, but this one lacks the spice and sass. The color is almost the same as the oxtail, which already says that something is wrong. I still like it, but I wouldn't call it a standout. 


It’s pretty and it’s clean with straightforward flavors, but somehow it's a little too clean. The minimal grease is a buzzkill, and it robs the food of the depth and breadth of flavors that make it truly island. That said, I've never seen anyone get so much flavor into a chicken breast. The Jerk Chicken is impressive, sharp spices that nip at your tastebuds, a profile that will dally and dance. I really hate white meat, but their white doesn't mean vanilla. 

Natraliart is nice. Maybe it's a little too nice. Jerk Chicken aside, I don’t want my island food to be nice. I want the warmth of the sand and sun, and I want the golden rays of grease. The fat is supposed to be in the stew, and the sauces and gravies should have a bit of color, preferably a color that looks a little bit off. I wouldn't dissuade you from Natraliart, but I've already found a place that's better. 

Natraliart Jamaican Restaurant Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment