Saturday, August 19, 2017

Grand Central Market - Los Angeles

My bachelorette party has to start somewhere, and noon is a bit early for a bar. There won't be booze until later, but food is hardly the next best thing. And what better way to start the day than to stand in a fancy court surrounded by food?


Wexler's Deli

We might be surrounded by food, but I ignored it all. There's only one path for me, and all roads lead to Wexler's. I've read so many features, so many breathtaking pieces highlighting this legendary deli; magnum opuses written with an eloquence I will never possess. 


The way these articles describe the Lox and Cream Cheese Bagel induce instant salivation to the point that you will want to grab your keys and find the nearest package of salmon for a taste of pink velvet. And those descriptions are right on. 


The Pastrami, however, I could have done without. It was as bland as it was dry. And not just dry or just a little overheated, it was parched. It crumbled like a sad, droopy jerky. 


Valerie

We needed a pick-me-up after a lackluster pastrami, and Valerie, with its sweet smells and warm feels, was irresistible.


I got the Rose Petal Petit Four. It tastes like a delicate floral breeze, petals floating in the wind. The layers of cake are dense and moist, and the sleek chocolate coating is creamy and sweet. There's so much satisfaction packed into this tiny petit four, I better be back for more.


At Grand Central Market, there are a lot of choices all around. One day I'll work up the patience to stand in the Eggslut line, and maybe next time I'll slurp an up oyster or bite into a dripping brat at Currywurst. Whatever I do, I probably won't go back to Wexler's, but Valerie deserves revisits.

No comments:

Post a Comment