Sunday, February 26, 2017

El Camello Jr. – Tulum, Quintana Roo, Mexico


Raw fish on vacation is a rookie mistake if you’re not in Japan. Food poisoning is BAD, and it's even worse when my medical license isn’t valid and my prescription pads have no power. 


But my fish-fix calls to me, and the craving crawls in, as a menu of ceviche and seafood cocktails beckons irresistibly. Ceviche is kind of cheating, and I like to pretend it’s okay. It’s not raw, it’s CURED. The fish is firm and opaque, but it still has that cold, fresh-off-the-boat feel as it maintains a soft, moist texture that goes away with heat. They do the lime juice just right – it permeates the fish, skims the shrimp, and coats the tender octopus. They also incorporate “snail” into the mixto, which is an ingredient I haven’t had. The snail has the firmness of a clam with a not-briny flavor and a smooth finish like a thinner, lighter conch.  


Hot balances cold as tentacles of Pulpo al Mojo de Ajo sizzle in a thick garlic butter. A layer of finely-pressed garlic coats each tiny piece, and it’s so simply good…as long as I can’t smell my breath.


I love El Camello Jr. Tulum is no longer a town of hippie tourists, but this is one spot that still keeps its charm. A simple storefront with a straw-thatch overhang and crowded tables, it’s a proud establishment that stands strong, backed by generous servings of ceviche that are nothing short of sublime.

No comments:

Post a Comment