Saturday, July 30, 2016

Serious Pie - Seattle


The EMP Museum is quite impressive. So many movie props and quite the guitar collection, and there's even an exhibit dedicated to the Seattle icon Nirvana.


The EMP Museum is probably one of the most interesting I've ever visited, and pop culture is a natural transition to culinary culture...okay, fine, walking around the museum made me hungry.



Then again, considering all the recs I got for Serious Pie, Tom Douglas himself should probably count as a tourist attraction. I mean, the man is no Space Needle, but the height of his fame is pretty close, and his restaurants have left a legacy that put Seattle on the foodies' map.



I took my visit to Serious Pie very seriously, especially given the scrutiny faced by the Capitol Hill location in light of its shared space with Starbucks. I started where all tourists do, with the Mushroom Pizza, also known as the best thing Tyler Florence ever ate. And wow. WOW. There is a reason famous things are famous and attractions are attractive. This perfect thin-crust pie is piled with woodsy, mossy morels and savory, salivating criminis that are so perfectly roasted, they deserve a display case. Alas, the dreaded truffle oil is there, but for once, I don't hate it, not at all. The cheese dilutes the oil and softens the sting, making way for a hint of real truffle to pop through.



I was only going to order one pizza, but I was so blown away I had to have another. Tradition came next, in the form of an infallible Sweet Fennel Sausage pizza, sweeter still with roasted peppers and strings of provolone that pull and stretch as you take big bites. The toppings are a recipe for sure success, but it's the sauce that steals the show. Tangy yet sweet tomato, rich but subtle, just enough to highlight the toppings and showcase the crust.


I'll admit it was pretty unsettling to look for the roped-off area after walking into a ritzy Starbucks, but there is a legit wood-burning oven right behind the bar, and they served some of the best pizza I've had on the west coast. I think most people are put off by this location, but I wouldn't write this one off.
Serious Pie Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment