Sunday, November 24, 2013

Hearing Irori Roar – Marina del Rey

With Katy Perry on the radio, my stomach picketing an empty protest, and my hangry mood exerting itself, you were gonna hear three kinds of roars in my car while I was searching for the doorway to Irori, one of several shops set around a small, strange rotunda.

If you really want to hear this authentically Japanese establishment roar, try wearing your shoes past the foyer. But after the shoes were off, it didn't take long to find our table, and it took even less time to order. Hanger is pretty good motivation for the indecisive.
  



We started with Soy Miso Eggplant that roared with the flavor of something bitter and something burnt. The soy is sticky, the miso is sweet, and the eggplant is soft without being mushy. But somewhere in the process of combining these seemingly harmless elements, a weird, bitterly charred aftertaste snuck in.

The only thing that made me roar about the Eel Avocado Maki was the price tag. The eel was some of the softest, sweetest, among the best I've had, but $7 for a 6-piece maki is only worth it if the eel you’re eating swallowed a pearl.

Expertly cut and crafted, the Sashimi roars on the tastebuds as each smooth slice slides along. The salmon is sweet, the snapper is snappy, and the tuna is tender. There really is no better option anywhere if it’s raw stuff you’re craving.


My stomach wasn’t roaring in hunger anymore by this point, but it started roaring in protest when the server offered me the dessert menu. But my slightly-sweet tooth still couldn't resist some slightly-battered Sweet Potato Tempura 

I’ve had plenty of good sushi, and I’ve had plenty of great sushi, but I rarely have such authentic sushi despite living in a mostly Japanese neighborhood. Irori’s ambiance draws on the composure of the culture it’s modeled after and is conducive to classy conversation while your feet dangle under the floor height table. The key word here is classy so try not to roar too much, even if you’re raving about your food.

No comments:

Post a Comment