Thursday, November 1, 2012

Positing on Post 390 – Boston


When I saw the Bloomspot deal for dinner for two, I was stricken with POST traumatic stress disorder. After all, I almost drowned in the watery dishes at Columbus Café (which has closed, thank god…quit while you’re…behind?). I choked on a mouthful of sand that Tremont 647 had the nerve to call food, and Chez Henri got two-thumbs-up…for those who like a good fusion fail. Fondue at Wine Cellar was decent, but if we’re going along those lines of logic, I should POSTpone the groupon and cook the food myself. But then I remembered the pleasantries of Park Restaurant and Bar and a nice nosh at Noche so I gave Post 390 a chance.

I really started regretting that chance after walking through the revolving POSTern (i.e. fancy door) when I realized that it was for the “Farm to Post” menu featuring Brambly Farm. When I hear the term “farm fresh”, the first thing I do is POSTulate the different ways this great idea could go wrong. I’m not knocking the value of fantastic farm-grown fare, but I’ve just seen too many hippie attempts turn to comPOST.


The sheer amount of salt in the Crab –Egg Drop Soup put me into a POSTictal confusion. My tastebuds had never been slammed so hard with such seizure-inducing crystals. We sent the soup back and received an acceptably-salty soup and an apology. Well there’s no use crying over spilt…salt? Props to the staff for throwing it over their shoulders and delivering a much improved product in so short a time.


The Country Pate was eaten POST-haste. Not because it was it was good but because it was too bland to bother lingering on the flavor.



The bed of succotash under the Bacon Wrapped Scallops provide a taste of POSTerity, a recipe passed down by generations of kettle-over-the-hearth Norman-Rockwellian families of unintentional chefs. I usually POSTure against bacon-wrapped scallops as they are usually the POSTer-child for the pitfalls of excess as bacon tends to suppress the more delicate scallops. This was the first bacon-wrapped scallops dish I actually liked as the maple-rosemary bacon highlighted the tender sea scallops, and the succotash was probably the tastiest thing I’ve had in months.



Like many of my blogPOSTs, my view of the Brochette of Berkshire Pork may seem a bit POST-modernist. But a dish with so many interesting elements clearly deserves to be deconstructed. The skewers consist of tender, juicy squares the size of a POSTage stamp, the international kind. There’s a fruity theme with a light hint of pear, and the sweet plum-ginger sauce foils the dark kale. Unfortunately, the pulled pork fritter just didn’t do it for me. Too bland, too fried. And thus concludes the dissection of the dish.



We all love pretty faces, but some of us place more emphasis on the POSTerior. At Post 390, the POSTprandial Zucchini Bread exemplifies that the back end can be just as delightful as the front. While I hardly pretend to be an aPOSTle, I can safely say that the sweet, dense bread, paired with chocolate cream and topped with an amazing confit orange slice is nothing short of heavenly.



The Apple Pie is as much an American classic as the POST-it note. Like post-its, pies come in all shapes and sizes and all sorts of colors, but everyone who likes pie agrees on one thing: It is just so much better with this creamy vanilla ice cream and dash of cinnamon sauce.

POST Scriptum (P.S. in Latin…duh…): I have no idea what Post 390 is named for. Post is a word that means after, most often inserted or hyphenated in front of a noun to explain a questionable behavior or excusable action. “Let her eat the entire pint of Ben & Jerry’s – she’s POST break-up.” Or “I’m sure that surgeon you’re dating didn’t fall asleep because you’re boring. He was probably just POST-call.” Again, I don’t pretend to be an aPOSTle, but my message is clear. When it comes to quality, Post 390 needs no excuses. The food is tasty, and the “Farm to Post” menu makes me feel status POST a visit to grandma’s quaint country farm with hearty servings straight from the kettle. I’ll end my review on this high note as I feel if I POST just one more line, the publication of this review may be POSThumous.

No comments:

Post a Comment