Monday, September 7, 2020

Saigon Dish - Lawndale



There is nothing more nerve-wracking than recommending ethnic food of your ethnicity. I can count the South Bay Chinese restaurants I’d endorse on one hand...or may just one finger, and it’s such a punch to the gut if someone doesn’t like your food.

I’m told there’s barely a handful of good Vietnamese food around here as well, but Saigon Dish did come recommended. 

A gander at the menu indicates some degree of authenticity. An overwhelming selection requiring  a system of numbers exceeding 50 promises a long list of things I can’t pronounce.


Warm up with the #28, the Bun Tom Cha Gio Thit Nuong, a classic. Vermicelli with al dente noodle-floss, with fresh grilled shrimp and sweet, tender pork and an egg roll that’s moist and savory with thin, crispy skin. Toss it all in fish sauce, and enjoy the mix of hot and cold. The photo makes the meats look stingy, but trust me, it’s buried treasure under all the noodles.


A couple of banh mi because I was curious, and the fillings are pretty good. The Spicy Lemongrass Chicken is perky and seasoned well enough. 


The Grilled Pork is savory with a sweeter finish. The  breads are store-bought hoagies, but $5 per sandwich is practically free and I’m not about to bash that. 


The #52. If you’ve run out of comedies on Netflix, as me to order “Mi Xao Don Thap Cam.” It’s a house special, crispy noodles like a bed of Asian nachos, doused with a soupy stew of everything. They call it a stir fry, but the juices are thickened by starch, and you get a mix of so much meat. There’s whole fresh shrimp, slices of chicken, gluey dices of beef and fish and shrimp, vulcanized into meatballs. This mix has a fishy finish, an acquired taste for some, the flavor of home for many like me. And if you're worried about portion size, don't. This is literally 1/4 of the order.

I like it. I like you, Saigon Dish. I can’t go to Garden Grove right now but for now, I can settle down with you without having to settle for you. 
Saigon Dish Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment