Monday, October 10, 2016

Restaurant Miura - Lomita


Rough start. They're out of my beloved monkfish liver. No ankimo mean no bueno, but with options like $70 for a many-course omakase and $55 for 12 pieces of sushi, I'm sure I can make do...


First decision made: no fried stuff and palate-warmers for me. I'm cutting to the chase with just the sushi. The Salmon settles into a thick, slick sheet, sweet as always. The Squid is tougher, a little too tough. It earns a low score, though it is precisely scored to help you chew. There is something called Golden Ice Snapper by its side, and if it looks like a red snapper... yeah, it tastes like snapper. Then the Halibut, bright and white, brightened a little more by a vinegary ponzu. The Snow Crab is pre-frozen and bland, and the Scallop is just okay, even with an accent of spicy yuzu pepper.


.. And then there was nothing. We waited... And we waited. The table next to us had sat down later, but their plates were never empty. They ordered the same omakase that we did, and they kept up their lively chatter as they paid their check. We waited some more, until most of the restaurant had cleared out. Then the server and chef apologized...because they had forgotten about us. They had forgotten about one of the six tables in the entire restaurant.


The Toro better be good after such a long wait. I literally stuff it into my mouth because I'm starving. It tingles as it melts, with its usual fatty fabulousness. But it's clearly not the best cut of belly. Yellowtail is generic, and the Mackerel is meaty and fleshy. I really don't love mackerel, but the fishy aftertaste of this piece was actually pretty tolerable. The Salmon Roe is a decent preparation. It's salty, but without even the slightest hint of fishiness, definitely one of the superior variations. My favorite Uni is next, and even that is ruined. I wait for creamy, and I get grainy-smooth. Close enough. But then there is a horrible bitterness that paralyzes my mouth, stops me in my tracks. I can only hope there is something to salvage this disaster.



There is a final course of sweet shrimp, and I hope it balances out the bitter uni, but they're out of that too. Instead, we get to choose an extra piece of nigiri, but I chose the uni before I knew. The extra piece is just as bitter, and the only thing the forgettable Tuna Roll can do is take some of the aftertaste out of my mouth.



I am more than ready for the Miso Soup with Clams by the time I finish my roll.



The soup signals the end of the meal, but we stay for the Strawberry Banana Crepe. It's light and not too sweet, and the crepe is so thin, a perfect al dente texture.



The Banana Fritter is uplifting in its deceptively straightforward, yet fun flavors. The banana goes gooey in the fryer, and the strawberries and ice cream highlight it well.


The desserts are better than the sushi, but they're not enough to save this meal. Miura may be cheap, but order the sushi and you'll know where they cut some corners. The prix fixe meal is better because there are other items, but there is truly nothing that could bring me back.
Restaurant Miura Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment