Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Oumi Sasaya - Lomita

My Japan trip won't be til May, but I'm already doing my research. I have pages of what to eat and where to eat it, but I need a basis of comparison.

When it comes to noodles, Oumi Sasaya shows me exactly what I have to appreciate. 2 PM on a Sunday, and the line stretched 30 minutes out the door.


The Tofu appetizer immediately soothes the stress from waiting. A silky-smooth block, sprinkled with scallion and a dash of salty soy, it ends up being a pretty good preview.



The Tororo Udon makes a good main if you like your meat 'n potatoes. Slimy with white yam to help you slurp, savory with a bit of beef. Clean and minimalist, and so freaking good.



No way these portions are Japanese-inspired. This behemoth bowl of Curry Udon is thick and rich and rides on the border between adequate and overboard. The curry is salty and thick, not much lighter than the pungent pour-over for katsu. Just think of the bucket-sized bowl as a trough. Stick your face in it and slurp away.



The curry udon will see you through a winter storm, but the regular Shrimp & Mochi Tempura Udon is best served cold. The noodles are chewy and the broth is so refreshing you can down the whole plate in a single sitting.


I won't see Japan for another three months, but I've been living and breathing it ever since I found a $775 direct to Haneda. Oumi Sasaya has me salivating for Tokyo, and it'll hold me over just fine until I get there. No layovers, no problems.

Oumi Sasaya Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment