Saturday, October 10, 2015

Saladang Song - Pasadena


The restaurant is beautiful; simple tables and wicker chairs in an open atrium. Cue the eastern instrumentals with platters of food held high by servants in loincloths. 


Beautiful music may play in my head, but Saladang is not a song I plan to sing. The menu has seen better days, with half the appetizers unavailable, tackily taped over with tiny pieces of paper. Their famous Papaya Salad was fine, but I didn't go all the way to Pasadena for a papaya salad to be just fine. 


At least they do the Red Curry right. The texture is the right thickness, and the predetermined level of spiciness burns sweet.


The Mango Sticky Rice was made with an imposter. I guess Thai yellow mangoes aren't in season because they used regular. They were the nice, pulpy kind, but they weren't sweet, and the discordant pairing with sticky rice was unfortunate.

The curry was photographed through a suncreen-covered cell phone camera so the photo does it no justice. Unfortunately, the papaya salad tasted about as colorful as the blunted lens made it look, and even my favorite dessert was done all wrong. I love Thai food, and I was fully prepared to love this place, but sadly, Saladang is not my Song. 

Saladang Song Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment