Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Just Meh at Maruhide Uni Club - Torrance


I LOVE uni, but I can only LIKE Maruhide Uni Club. The club is classy, and they wield the most powerful culinary ingredient second to saffron, but with great power comes great responsibility, and they don't seem to step up and take it.



I LOVE uni raw, but I can only LIKE uni grilled. The salty, briny, flavor-burst bubbles get a little bit lost in cooking, though the flavor and texture stay put. Unfortunately, some pieces get a bitter, mouth-puckering finish when they're flame-kissed. I'm glad I tried the Grilled Uni, but in the future, I'd rather leave it be.



What could possibly be better than combining the already-creamy texture of uni with even more cream? A better job combining the two, that's what. The pasta is coated with a sticky, heavy, orange-tinged cream that tastes like nothing but cream. All the uni is lost in the Uni Cream Pasta, and the only flavor you get is from the garnishing slices on top. I usually love food in its purest form. but sticky cream sticks out as a glaring exception.



The Uni Gratin is better-described as cream soup. Shrimp and scallops doused in cream are a solid chowder, but there's no uni within the dish, just the decorative slices on top. There are worse things to put on top, but I would like to see it incorporated instead of hanging out like an afterthought.


The Green Tea Mousse also tasted like an afterthought, albeit a pretty good one. Nice tea flavor with just the right hint of sweetness but I definitely only liked it.

I feel like rating Maruhide Uni Club isn't even fair. The flavor of uni is unique, and the depth of its flavor is both incredible and indescribable. At Maruhide the uni has a limitless potential it doesn't ever reach. I'd still go back, but I'd like to see a little more complexity and skill. With such an amazing ingredient, I expect to be more impressed.
Maruhide Uni Club Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment