Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Jus’ Poke – Redondo Beach


People are in love with poke. They attack it ravenously and they rave about it like it’s the best thing since sliced sushi. But something about sesame oil has always poked me the wrong way, and it often seems to be the key ingredient in poke, so while others raved about theirs, I merely poked at mine.


All that changed the day I decided to jus’ try the Wasabi Poke at Jus’ Poke. These red chunks of fresh tuna are almost pale green from the wasabi, and the smooth burn pokes and jolts all the right taste buds in all the right places. The Shoyu Poke makes a strong showing as well, with none of that overpowering oil we call sesame. $10 pairs your poke with rice and a decent seaweed salad on the side.


Just the regular portion of poke should fill you up, but the still-warm tray of freshly-made Spam Masubi is impossible to resist. I grabbed one on my way out because I couldn’t jus’ keep walking.

I was jus’ not that into poke , but one bite at Jus’ Poke had me convinced. Don’t be fooled by the modest exterior of this casual pick-up place. The poke is anything but ordinary, and believe me, you jus’ can’t help coming back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment