Sunday, June 30, 2013

Get Me Some Sushimon – Torrance


All good things must come to an end, but my cross-country road-trip was more of a beginning. With the east coast far behind and west coast just over the nearby horizon, Sushimon signaled the start of something, a new life I didn’t expect. Road-torn and world-weary, with enough miles under my belt to warrant an oil change, I chose to conclude my journey by collapsing on the stool of a reasonably-rated sushi bar next to the apartment in which my new life would begin. My first meal in Torrance was at Sushimon. And so was my second…And my third.



My first taste of Torrance was a board of the Osaka, nine palatable pieces of nigiri with a splotch of spicy tuna for good measure. The eel is rich, the squid and clam are sweet, and nothing tempers road rage like the well-cut classics of salmon, tuna, and red snapper.



The dinner plates can be a little pricey in the long run, but when it comes to bang for your buck, nothing makes more noise than the Lunch Special B. I got an extra salmon roll with mine, but the special itself should be enough unless you’re planning to pig out. I am always planning to pig out. I hate mayo, but the crab salad in the California Rolls was bearable. I wish they did an avocado roll instead of cucumber, but kappa is refreshing amongst all that fish. The salmon roll is fresh, the nigiri are niblets of the real thing, and bonus hand roll is good enough to be dessert.



A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. But if you order the Hand Roll Special, three rolls in the hand are worth $7.39 in the wallet. The Salmon Hand Roll is full of chunks of fresh fish, and the Spicy Salmon Hand Roll was one of the tastiest I’ve had. Instead of the usually diced salmon and a tempura flake filler, it’s plain salmon tossed in their spicy mayo, a mix of mayo, sriracha, and a spark of fire. The mayo may have all the fire, but never underestimate the power of a smooth green Avocado Hand Roll either.

The specialty rolls look exciting enough, but sometimes you need to go back to basics. The Avocado Roll will get you your fill of California with its layers of ripe avocado, the spirit-fruit of the Golden State. The firmer rice tempers the gooey green, but just when you think it can’t get richer, the avocado inside adds a flavor-burst.

Jamaicans aren’t the only people who go to sushi, mon. Three days on the west coast and I was already their most loyal customer. Homesick and weary, I found myself frequenting this place, maybe just to hear the humor of this sweet, functional family-run establishment. The whole family looks up from their playful banter to say hello when I come in. The owner gets my soda and ladles my miso soup, and his daughter (or niece) presents me with wasabi and ginger. I think they close at 9, but even when I sit down at 8:50, I could sit there all night without feeling rushed. No matter how long their day, I get good sushi and service with a smile. So thanks for the warm welcome, Sushimon. I have a four-star smile for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment