Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Magical Mr. Sushi – Brookline



They say the seaweed is always greener in somebody else’s town. I dreamed about going out there, and it was no mistake to venture to Mr. Sushi though the name might suggest otherwise. To be fair, if you’re a restaurant named Mr. Sushi, your sushi better be good. Some people would shun the restaurant just to avoid admitting that they ate at the cheesiest name in town, but in this case, if you’re put off by that, you’re the one missing out. The sushi is fabulously fresh, and the extra free piece of nigiri lunch deal is pretty sweet. Almost as sweet as the seasonal mirugai they didn’t have…

I avoided all things with cream cheese due to my mild lactose intolerance and due to the fact that the name of this establishment provided all the cheese I could handle. Despite the overly cheesy name and the nondescript décor, after a few bites of sushi, what would I give if I could live out of the South End, what would I pay to spend a day at a sushi restaurant, betcha in Brookline, they understand, bet they don’t reprimand their foodies, bright young med students, sick of Seiyo, ready for Mr. Sushi…


I can’t think of a better deal than the Sushi Deluxe…except maybe the Sushi Special…Points (but not stars!) lost for giving me crabstick as one of my nigiri – Sebastian was my favorite character in The Little Mermaid (in case you didn’t get all the song references…seriously?!?) and there’s no way I want a fake crab on my plate…The salmon in the roll could have been higher-grade, but in all honesty it was fine, and my only regret was not ordering more nigiri.

I was informed…repeatedly…that Chef Mr. Sushi makes the best Idaho Maki ever. As in the most crispity-crunchity piece of perfection ever tasted by a vegetarian. Think large chef with moustache waving a large dripping sweet potato singing les patates, les patates, how I love les patates…



If bunnies ate sushi, they’d surely prefer the Ume Shiso Maki. Sharp, bitter mint refreshes the palate between bites of les patates and les poisons and keeps your breath non-cat-like after all that salmon. The Oshinko roll and Avocado roll were standard but well worth it – well-made, didn’t fall apart, etc.

There you see Mr. Sushi just sitting there across the street. He don’t got a lot of say but there’s something about him…And it only takes a few words, or a single word, go on and kiss the chef…


No comments:

Post a Comment